Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Swim Meet!

Zac high fivin' one of the coaches!



This past weekend Zac had his first official swim meet. He was very excited to go and try out competing. One mother had told me to make sure and bring food, books, and playing cards, because it would probably be about four hours long. So we packed up our cooler and Max filled his spiderman backpack full of toys and we experienced our first swim meet. Zac competed in four different events. His first one was the 100 meter I.M. where you do all four strokes. He did well and came in fourth. The couple in front of me were laughing at me because I could see Zac at the pool but he wasn't getting on the block when the race started. I began to panic thinking that he didn't know it was his turn so I started to yell his name. Well, it was so loud in there that he couldn't hear me, so I didn't know what to do. The guy turned around and said, "I think he competes in the second heat, not the first." Which calmed me down and made me look like an idiot. But seeing how it was my first swim meet too I hadn't figured that out yet. His second event was the 100 meter freestyle which he did great and came in second. His third was the 50 meter freestyle, and like I said it was my first swim meet so what did I do when he didn't take the block. You got it I started yelling his name and freaking out that he was going to miss the race. Once again the man in front of me had to point out that he wasn't racing until the third heat and I had to apologize again for yelling in his ear. But Zac did great and came in fourth. His last event after four and half hours of being there was the 50 meter breaststroke and he finished it off by coming in second. He had a ton of fun and it was so great to see him out there doing it. He loves being on the swim team and according to his coach "Always has a smile on his face." We are very proud of him for how hard he works at swimming, and who knows maybe next time I will remember not to panic when he doesn't take the block!


Zac in the pool with his teammates cheering him on!











5 comments:

Amber said...

Way to go Zach! That is so awesome! I was laughing through your post. I am so glad I am not the only mom that is crazy at your kids activities. You are lucky he could not hear you. I was cheering for Lauren's volleyball game and afterwards I was told if I want to come, could I please not act like that! Then at another game she had a friend who was crying because her mom did not make it to the game. I guess as moms we just can't win! All we can do is keep trying.

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Wow Zac! That is amazing....we are so glad you had a great time. We love the pictures!

Nana said...

This has me laughing out loud because I was right there with you. I'm glad that Zac couldn't hear us...Mom the guys are talking...you are a great mom and I hope you never change.

emily said...

Heather I love this post. Marshall always tells me that he can hear me over all the other moms. We can never win. I figure if he can hear me that is better than not being able to hear me. I will always be the loudest.